Pages

Friday 21 November 2008

T...Te...Tea

Chaaya, Chai, Cha, Chahaa, Chiya or Masala Chai
Call it by any name, it's nothing less than the elixir of life. You can make it in your own style by adding variants to it and still say that you are having tea.

In Mumbai there is something called a 'cutting chai'. You can find it on roadside tea stalls and around the theila, you will be surprised to find people from all economic strata - the labourer, the IT geek, the artist, the creative director - everyone. The 'cutting' gets them together. And what do I tell you about the chai? It's therapeutic. It helps you get rid of weariness, creative blocks, thirst, cold and whatever you can think of.















IRCTC chaaya in the Jayanti Janta

Another variety is the 'paani kam chai' that's served at Irani restaurants (that still keeps themselves alive). And if you are lucky you can swirl the Sulaimani, a Malabari decoction made of tea, jaggery and mint, without any milk, here in Mumbai. I got a taste of the Sulaimani at Colaba Causeway, three years back. I told you, you ought to be lucky to get this. This was at a shoe shop while the owners were being served tea. They offered me and very humbly I said 'No, thank you'. That's when I noticed that it looked different. I quickly spoke out, "I'll have that. It's Sulaimani, right?" And I loved it. It is also known as kahva in some places, though there is a slight variation in the ingredients. While jaggery, tea leaves and mint is used in sulaimani; sugar, kahva leaves, strands of saffron and cardamom pods are used in kahva.


When I'm writing about tea, I need to thank Mainland China for introducing me to 'jasmine tea'. I always thought jasmines were used in perfumes and oils or for adorning the hair. Never knew that you could make a cup of refreshing tea from these flowers.














No comments: