Pages

Thursday 29 November 2007

Math...not my forte


There was an article in the newspaper which stated that a person's finger lengths could speak volumes about his/her interests. One of them was that a person with an index finger longer than the ring finger will surely be more inclined towards literature and less likely to have numerical abilities. 

I don't know if it was the play of fingers or plain disinterestedness that made me lethargic in Math class, but I do remember all those teachers who caused the latter. 


As a little girl,  I was very good in Math (maybe my index finger was malnourished). In fact I used to score full marks. Then Ms. Sleeping Beauty took charge as our new Math teacher. I never understood what she taught beause she hardly taught anything. I guess she used to prepare for the class all throughout the night and sleep while she was supposed to deliver the lecture. But my prayers were answered...a knight in mundu-jubba saved us by marrying her and taking her to Far Far Away Land. 


Then came Raj Kumar (not the actor, but a teacher who spoke exactly like him). Before he could take charge as our new Math teacher, the Principal called a friend and me to his cabin and informed us of the new addition to the teaching staff. With a warning note as the final sign off, "Please don't giggle when he speaks." 


????


There he came...dressed in white n white, with three buttons of his shirt open, grey strands of hair covering his head...very very filmy...but a terrific teacher. By then it was too late. The worst had come true and now it was the ring finger that wasn't getting nourishment. We had only six months to go for our board exams and the damage had already been done. I had started detesting the subject. But I do remember that teacher who always called me Lakshmi or Saraswati. When I used to correct him saying that I was Parvathy, he would say that how does it matter, they are all Goddesses.



photo credit:
Mykl Roventine via photopin cc

No comments: