Pages

Thursday 29 November 2007

The English Teacher

I was too young to construe things that happened around me. But, I knew that I idolised my English teacher. For me, she was the sweetest person on earth.
We always had English teachers, who spoke with heavy Malayalam accents. It was indeed remarkable that the school managed to consistently hire such teachers. And then, there was a miracle...Ms. Priya D'Cunha, from St. Xavier's College, Dhobi Talao. She was a dream come true for me. I adored the way she read the text. Slowly, she started becoming a part of my world. I aspired to be like her, speak like her, read like her. I was elated to know that her b'day fell on the same day as mine.
I observed every gesture of hers. I spent hours in front of the mirror, trying to imitate Ms. D'Cunha. It was decided...I wanted to be like her.
One day, I overheard her having an altercation with someone, over the phone. My favourite teacher's voice rose and fell. I knew something was wrong. But, in the class Ms. D'Cunha was calm and composed as ever, with the serenity looming large on her face. And it was this serenity that allayed my fears.
The next day, Ms. D'Cunha was absent. I felt worried. None of the other teachers knew much about her. Days stretched into weeks and weeks into months. Its been 12 years, since I lost my English teacher.
But yes, I am sure, she'll be proud to see me. I am an English teacher for the last five years....and also a favourite among my students.

No comments: