Pages

Wednesday 24 June 2009

Bachpan ke rang

India is always all about colour. And my days as a young kid was more colourful. Sometimes I regret the fact that I didn't preserve my scrap book that had cut outs of hand painted movie posters (Amar Akbar Anthony being my favourite poster), hand painted pictures of Goddess Mookambika, cut outs from Amar Chitra Katha and Chandamama, postcards, book labels and greeting cards. Of course the books are available online, but I miss the smell of that fresh paper and colourful ink :)

Those days were about vibrance and celebration of life. And you saw it everywhere from matchboxes to clothes to accessories to upholstery to tees and even jootis.

Not to forget Gods and Goddesses and firecracker packets.

My childhood has seen some of the most amazing matchboxes. I don't think you have anything like that anymore. These days matchboxes are predominantly in red and yellow colours as against the wide array of colours that were used earlier. The new ones...


By the way let me share my super duper excitement. Here, visit this link - Hero Design Studio. You fill see many a colourful matchboxes.

It took me back to my days as a young kid who would eagerly wait for the matchsticks to be exhausted so that one could collect the box. It was a hobby and if you had two of the same you exchange it with your buddy for a different one. Something like stamp collection.

Hand painted film posters. This one from the famous Mughal-E-Azam.


Well, all of it has not vanished. When you take a tour of the country you may come across several things that keep reminding you of how much more colourful it can get.

A truck on the roads of Mumbai


My mother's devotional books. Amma keeps buying some for me too.


Pavo and Cavo, a delightful read for kids. By Tulika. From Rishi's collection.


And last, but not the least, my colourful Phuljadi tee.



No comments: